The Victorian Garden
Before being called The Victorian Garden, this garden was known as The Gazebo Garden. The garden was designed around the gazebo, which was constructed in the 1870’s, and fenced with a replica of a picket fence that originally stood at Maple Hill. According to one recollection, as stated in Beaver Brook’s historical archives, the gazebo – also known as The Summer House -, was painted white with light green trim and had roses growing on it. In the gazebo, Mrs. Minnie Colburn (who lived at Maple Hill Farm), received guests and served tea in her summer house. Mrs. Colburn was fond of flowers, using Peonies, Columbine, Hollyhocks, and Climbing Roses in The Gazebo Garden.
In 1981, the Gazebo was reconstructed and a Victorian Garden was planted with flowering borders, which were indicative of gardens in the 1900’s. In addition to the surviving old roses, today’s plantings include: Coral Bells, Astilbe, Garden Phlox, Hydrangea, Boxwood, Mallow, English Daisy, Hydrangea, Boxwood, Bergenia, Hosta, Wild Ginger, Japanese Painted Fern, Ostrich Fern, and Sedum.